Co-op Vegan Caramelised Pumpkin Lasagne (How To Recipe)
This week in the Mother of Grom Vegan Kitchen I whipped up this delicious recipe from the Co-op instore magazine. It's a vegetarian recipe but I altered it with vegan substitutes and it tasted absolutely divine.
I amended this veggie recipe to be a totally vegan affair and the depth of flavour you'd expect in this favourite Italian recipe absolutely remained.
If you aren't a fan of pumpkin (or it's simply out of season) then substitute it for Squash - but definitely caramalise it !
- 800g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 125g bag baby spinach
- 1 Jar of Free From White Sauce
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp dried sage
- 60g Violife Cheddar Cheese, finely grated
- 9 Free From lasagne sheets
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 180g pack Tenderstem broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Toss the pumpkin with the garlic, 1 tbsp of the olive oil and season. Roast on a tray for 35-40 mins, until golden and tender
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp more oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for 20 mins over a medium heat, stirring. Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 mins until wilted
- Mix the roasted pumpkin into the saucepan, lightly crushing it with the back of a wooden spoon until evenly combined
- In a separate bowl, combine the white sauce, lemon zest, sage and 40g of the vegan cheddar, then season.
- Layer up the lasagne in a medium-sized ovenproof dish, starting with the pumpkin mixture, then a layer of pasta, the zesty white cheese sauce after that, followed by more pasta. Repeat, finishing with remaining grated cheddar cheese.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and bake for 35-40 mins, until golden and bubbling, sprinkling the pine nuts over the top for the final 5 mins of cooking time
- Leave the lasagne to stand for 10 mins while you steam or microwave the broccoli until tender. Drizzle the lemon juice over the broccoli, then serve alongside the lasagne