Vegan Caramelised Pumpkin Lasagne (How To Recipe)
This week in the Mother of Grom Vegan Kitchen I whipped up this delicious recipe from the Co-op instore magazine. It's a vegetarian recipe but I altered it with vegan substitutes and it tasted absolutely divine.
Indulge in the ultimate autumn comfort food with this delicious Vegan Pumpkin Lasagne.
Each layer, from velvety roasted pumpkin to indulgent vegan cheese, harmoniously blends the warmth of fall, offering a taste experience that embodies the essence of the season.
If you aren't a fan of pumpkin (or it's simply out of season) then substitute it for Squash - but definitely caramelise it !
- 800g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 125g bag baby spinach
- 1 Jar of Free From White Sauce
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp dried sage
- 60g Violife Cheddar Cheese, finely grated
- 9 Free From lasagne sheets
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 180g pack Tenderstem broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Toss the pumpkin with the garlic, 1 tbsp of the olive oil and season. Roast on a tray for 35-40 mins, until golden and tender
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp more oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for 20 mins over a medium heat, stirring. Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 mins until wilted
- Mix the roasted pumpkin into the saucepan, lightly crushing it with the back of a wooden spoon until evenly combined
- In a separate bowl, combine the white sauce, lemon zest, sage and 40g of the vegan cheddar, then season.
- Layer up the lasagne in a medium-sized ovenproof dish, starting with the pumpkin mixture, then a layer of pasta, the zesty white cheese sauce after that, followed by more pasta. Repeat, finishing with remaining grated cheddar cheese.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and bake for 35-40 mins, until golden and bubbling, sprinkling the pine nuts over the top for the final 5 mins of cooking time
- Leave the lasagne to stand for 10 mins while you steam or microwave the broccoli until tender. Drizzle the lemon juice over the broccoli, then serve alongside the lasagne