Vegan Cottage Pie - (How To Recipe)
Today in the Mother of Grom Vegan Kitchen I cobbled together a Vegan Cottage Pie. I needed something nutritious and stodgy to fill up the two little snack addicts that I've been homeschooling. The recipe takes 60 minutes and feeds a family of 4.
My hubby picked up a pack of Meat Free Mince by Meatless Farm in the supermarket the other day and it's been sat in the fridge waiting to be used. Today I had both little dudes at home for homeschooling and asking every two minutes for snack, so I needed a nutritious but stodgy lunch to fill them up so they would lay off the fruitbowl/biscuit jar for a bit!
I decided to use what I had in the fridge for this vegan cottage pie-type dish. Normally I would use just white potatoes (and add vegan cheese before popping in the oven) but I had some lovely fresh sweet potatoes which have so many incredible health benefits so ended up using those in the mash too.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 pack of Meatless Farm Meat Free Mince.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 350ml vegetable stock, made with 1/2 stock cube
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 small white potatoes
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat
- Add the onion, carrot, leek and meat free mince, and cook for 8-10 mins, until softened
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, then add the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes and thyme
- Stir in the lentils and vegetable stock, then simmer for 25-30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced and creamy
- Season to taste
- Peel and cut the sweet and white potatoes into 2-3cm chunks and pop into a pan of lighted salted boiled water and simmer for 15-20 minutes. A knife tip inserted into a potato should meet no resistance; if the potato clings to the knife, the potatoes need to cook longer. When potatoes are done, remove from heat and drain immediately. Pop back into the pan and mash.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/Gas 7
- Pour the lentil mixture into an ovenproof dish and spread out evenly
- Top with the mash and bake for 10-15 mins, until crisp and golden
- Serve with greens.