Bonfire Night Cakes: A Sweet Vegan Twist to Light Up Your Night | Recipe & Tutorial
Experience the magic of Bonfire Night with our delicious Vegan Bonfire Cupcakes! Bursting with flavour, these treats feature vibrant two-tone frosting and adorable marshmallow decorations, adding a touch of warmth and creativity to your celebrations. Embrace the festive spirit and indulge in these delightful vegan delights, making your Bonfire Night celebration truly unforgettable
As I scrolled through Instagram and Pinterest, I couldn't help but fall in love by the bonfire cupcake designs that seemed to be taking the world of baking by storm.
However, each time I came across these delightful creations, there was one consistent ingredient that didn't align with my dietary preferences – dairy. Determined to enjoy these novelty-themed bonfire cupcakes in a vegan-friendly way, I embarked on a culinary adventure to recreate the magic, and after some experimentation, I'm thrilled to share the winning combination with you.
Bonfire Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Night, is a cherished British tradition celebrated with grand bonfires, spectacular fireworks, and delightful treats. As the chilly November night descends, the warmth of the bonfire beckons, and what better way to revel in this tradition than with delicious vegan bonfire cupcakes? In this recipe, I've crafted a mouth-watering delight that captures the essence of Bonfire Night. Prepare to indulge in the perfect combination of sweet toppings, complete with vibrant two-tone frosting that resemble the flames of your bonfire, chocolate-dipped pretzel sticks, and marshmallows on a stick. Whether you're hosting a Bonfire night party, planning a birthday celebration, or simply craving a cosy dessert, these vegan bonfire cupcakes are a must-have. Let's dive into the magic of flavours, textures, and creativity, bringing a touch of sweetness to your Bonfire Night festivities.
Follow me on Insagram on @MotherOfGrom for weekly creative updates
- 1 cup (250ml) soy milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice or white vinegar
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil (such as sunflower or rapeseed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (175g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Vegan Vanilla Frosting:
- 3 ¾ cups Powdered Sugar (450g)
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan Butter (45g)
- 4 Tablespoons Soy Milk (60ml) or other non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Vegan Orange food colouring
- Vegan Red food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 175C / 350F and line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dairy-free milk and vinegar, creating vegan ‘buttermilk’. Let it sit for 3 minutes until slightly curdled.
- Using an electric mixer, blend sugar, oil, and vanilla into the buttermilk until the sugar dissolves.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt; gently stir until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Fill each cup of the prepared muffin tray ¾ full with the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Two-Tone Frosting Method:
- In a mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, vegan butter, half of the soy milk, and vanilla extract.
- Using an electric mixer, blend the ingredients, gradually adding the remaining soy milk until the frosting is smooth and thick.
- Divide the frosting into two bowls. Mix orange food colouring into one bowl and red food colouring into the other.
- Transfer both of the coloured frosting into a colour swirl piping bag and decorate the cooled cupcakes.
Wood Logs Method:
- Melt dark chocolate and dip pretzel sticks into it, creating a delightful sweet and salty flavour reminiscent of bonfire wood.
Marshmallows on a Stick Method:
- Cut a Dandies vegan marshmallow into three tiny marshmallows and skewer them onto cocktail sticks. Alternatively, use mini vegan marshmallows for this charming marshmallow decoration.
These vegan bonfire cupcakes are a delightful addition to your Bonfire Night celebrations, offering a blend of flavours and textures that will leave your taste buds tingling with delight. Whether you're enjoying them around the bonfire, at a themed party, or as a special treat at home, these cupcakes are the perfect way to indulge in the festive spirit. Embrace the warmth of the bonfire and the sweetness of these vegan delights, making your Bonfire Night truly memorable. Happy baking!
For more bonfire themed cooking, crafts and tradtions click here