29 Homemade World Book Day Costumes For Children & Teachers in 2023
From Roald Dahl to Mr Men, i've compiled a list of 28 of my homemade costumes to inspire you for this years World Book Day.
On March 2nd, 2023 we celebrate World Book Day in schools across the country.
World Book Day was created by UNESCO in April 1995 as a worldwide celebration of reading and books. It is celebrated in over 100 countries around the globe. The first World Book Day in the UK and Ireland took place in 1997 to encourage young people to discover the pleasure of reading.
When my eldest son was small I discovered just how massive the impact on shop bought costumes have on the environment, and now I try my best to make them out of things I can recycle or turn into other costumes. According to a study by environmental group Hubbub :
83% of shop bought costumes are made using non-recyclable oil-based plastics; meaning they are set for landfill.
That means that for just one day of use, close to 2,000 tonnes of plastic waste is generated – which equates to 83 million plastic bottles being thrown away. Terrifying!
To give you some inspiration for home made costumes I have put together a list of 29 of the costumes that I've made over the years and the books that inspired them. Some of them have tutorials or links to other posts where I shared tips on how I've made them so i'll add in the clickable links in the titles for you. As always you can message me on Instagram with any questions you have as I'm more than happy to talk you through how I made them.
1. Mr. Happy by Roger Hargreaves
2. Esio Trot by Roald Dahl
3. Zog by Julia Donaldson
4. Snoopy by Charles M. Schulz
5. Mr Tickle by Roger Hargreaves
6. Toothless by Dreamworks
7. The Great Pinata Mystery by Cian Mustagh
8. The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl
9. Dragon Red by Shoo Rayner
10. Space Oddity by Christopher Edge
11. Elmer by David Mckee
12. The Honey Bee by Kirsten Hall
13. The Scarecrows Wedding by Julia Donaldson
14. Shaun The Sheep by Martin Howard
15. A Walk Through Mushroom Town by Nicole & David Charpentier
16. I Want My New Shoes by Tony Ross
(Modelled by beautiful Bobbie)
17. I Am Jellyfish by Ruth Paul
18. If I Ran The Rainforest by Bonnie Worth
19. Mr. Strong by Roger Hargreaves
20. The Amazing Flight Of Little Ray by V. R. Duin
21. Pacman And The Ghostly Adventures by Bandi Namco
22. Night Knight by Owen Davey
23. I Love You To The Moon And Back by Tim Warnes
24. Mike Wozowski Monsters Inc by Disney Pixar
25. The Wonder Of Thunder by Sharon Purtill
26. Rainbow Bird by Caroline Laidlaw
27. Marty Mcfly - Back To The Future by Robert Zemeckis
28. How To Help Cupid by Sue Fliess
29. Superworm By Julia Donaldson
If you have any questions about the costumes featres in this post you can contact me on Instagram xox